Saturday, August 9, 2008

Tenth Avenue North

Tenth Avenue North is a fantastic band that I just discovered. They have an album out, "Over and Underneath," that has absolutely incredible songs. Two of my favorites so far are "Beloved" and "By Your Side." I think the reason the songs are so moving is because they are written from God's perspective (at least these two are for sure)--it's God speaking to His wandering children. Here are the lyrics to those two songs.
"Beloved"
Love of My life, look deep in My eyes--there you will find what you need.
Give Me your life, lust, and the lies--the past you're afraid I might see.
You've been running away from Me.

You're My beloved; lover, I'm yours.
Death shall not part us--it's you I died for.
For better or worse, forever we'll be.
Our love, it unites us; it binds you to Me.
It's a mystery.

Love of My life, look deep in My eyes--there you will find what you need.
I'm the Giver of Life, I'll clothe you in white--My immaculate bride you will be.
Oh, come running home to Me.

You're My beloved; lover, I'm yours.
Death shall not part us--it's you I died for.
For better or worse, forever we'll be.
Our love, it unites us; it binds you to Me.

Well, you've been a mistress, my wife; chasing lovers--it won't satisfy.
Won't you let Me make you My bride?
You will drink of My lips and you'll taste new life!

Cause you're My beloved; lover, I'm yours.
Death shall not part us--it's you I died for.
For better or worse, forever we'll be.
Our love, it unites us; it binds you to Me.

You're My beloved, forever we'll be.
Our love, it unites us, and it binds you to Me.
It's a mystery; it's a mystery.



"By Your Side"
Why are you striving these days?
Why are you trying to earn grace?
Why are you crying--let Me lift up your face.
Just don't turn away.

Why are you looking for love?
Why are you still searching, as if I'm not enough?
To where will you go, child; tell Me, where will you run?
To where will you run?

Cause I'll be by your side, wherever you fall; in the dead of night, whenever you call.
Please don't fight these hands that are holding you; My hands are holding you.

Look at these hands and My side; they swallowed the grave on that night when I drank the world's sin so I could carry you in and give you life. 
I want to give you life.

And I'll be by your side, wherever you fall; in the dead of night, whenever you call.
Please don't fight these hands that are holding you; My hands are holding you. (x2)

Cause I, I love you--I want you to know.
That I, I love you--I'll never let you go.



I hope these songs affect you as much as they've affected me. Although they're not directly from the Bible (at least, to my knowledge! I could be way wrong), they are clearly based on Biblical truths and Spirit-inspired. Do you know the moment or the situation where you finally "got" that God loves you? Remember that moment now, and keep it with you forever more--because the worst thing we could do to offend God would be to forget or reject His love for us.

No comments: